Monday, September 23, 2013

Sardinia

September 23, 2013 (Romereports.com) The lack of work produces suffering. In a blunt speech to labor representatives at the Italian island of Sardinia, Pope Francis spoke of the evils of unemployment.   

POPE FRANCIS
“A suffering, the lack of jobs, that leads to, and forgive me if I sound dramatic, but it's true, to feel like having no dignity! When there's no work, there's no dignity! And this isn't just a Sardianian problem, but it's strikes really hard here! It isn't just a problem of Italy, or some countries of Europe, it is the consequence of a world, an economic system that has its center in an idol called money.” 

The Pope paid close attention to the cases of three victims of the economic crisis: an unemployed worker, a shepherd and a businesswoman. The first reminded how tragic unemployment can be.

FRANCESCO 
Worker
“Holy Father, my name is Franceso. I'm an operator of the Sardinia Green Island and since February 2nd 2009, more than four years ago, I haven't had a job. Please, let me bring up two coworkers that have lost their lives because of this drama: Marcelo y Mauricio.” 

The Pope pleaded for an end to the throwaway culture that leaves youth and the elderly aside. 

POPE FRANCIS 
“We must say 'No' to this 'throwaway culture'. We mus say: 'We want a fair system!' A system in which we all can carry on. We must say: 'We don't want this globalized economic system that is so harmful! Man and woman must be in the center, just as God wants, and not money!” 

Deeply impressed with their testimonies, the Pope left aside his prepared speech

POPE FRANCIS 
“I had written something for you, but now these words came to me. I will give my speech afterward to the Bishops, as if I had read it. But I have preferred to say aloud what my heart feels right now.” 

Pope encouraged all workers to have hope and to let no one take it away. Francis asked them to fight together so that men, women and their families are in the center of life, and not money. 

September 23, 2013. (Romereports.com) Pope Francis spoke about the global economic crisis in a forum he's not very used to, surrounded by university professors and the world of culture in Sardinia. The Pope said thatwe are living through a changing environment.

POPE FRANCIS
“I think about the decay of the environment: This is dangerous. Let's think of the future, of the war for water that looms; to social inequalities, to the terrible power of weapons we have spoken about these past few days; of the economic and financial system, which does not have man at the center, but rather money, the god of money; of the development and the weight of the media, with the positives they have to communicate and transport. This is a change that deals with the way in which humanity carries forward its existence in this world.”


The Pope also called on academics to create a culture of solidarity, and not to fear dialogue.

September 23, 2013. (Romereports.com) At the end his visit to Sardinia, with improvised remarks, Pope Francis condemned a suicide bomb attack at a Christian church in Pakistan, where the faithful had gathered for Sunday service. Pope Francis appealed for prayer for the victims. But also demanded something greater.

POPE FRANCIS
“Today, in Pakistan, because of a wrong choice, a decision of hatred, of war, there was an attack in which over 70 people died. This choice cannot stand. It serves nothing. Only the path of peace can build a better world. But if you all will not build it, no one else will. This is the problem, and this is the questions I leave you with: 'Am I willing to take on the path to build a better world?'

A group within the Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack on the Church, in the northern city of Peshawar. The death toll climbed to at least 80 people. As a result of the bombing, protests broke out in several cities, asking the government to do more to protect minorities.


September 23, 2013. (Romereports.com) More than 20,000 people gathered at the Shrine of Our Lady of Bonaria for Sunday Mass with Pope Francis. During the service, the Pope asked them to entrust themselves to her and let her guide them through life.   

POPE FRANCIS
“Mary teaches us to have that look that seeks to welcome, to guide, to protect. Let us learn to look at each other under the maternal gaze of Mary! There are people who we instinctively give less attention to, people who instead have most need of it: the most abandoned, the sick, those who have nothing to live on, those who do not know Jesus, young people who are in trouble, the young who can’t find work.” 

Speaking from the Shrine, and looking out into the crowd, as well as the Mediterranean Sea,Pope Francis also said that only by working together will society be able to provide the rights of the people. He added that these rights include the right to work, and the right to earn enough to provide for the family. 

The visit to the Shrine of Our Lady of Bonaria had a special significance for Pope Francis. A few weeks into his pontificate, he had announced his desire to visit the Shrine, one of several examples of his devotion to the Virgin Mary. Significantly, Our Lady of Bonaria is also the namesake for Pope Francis' hometown of Buenos Aires.

September 23, 2013. (Romereports.com) (-ONLY VIDEO-) When Pope Francis meets with large crowds, it's easy to tell he's in his comfort zone. And when he meets with youth, it's easy to see his delight. After an intense day in Sardinia, the Pope closed off his trip to the island by meeting with young people. He decided to share with them the story of how he discovered his vocation, exactly one day after the 60th anniversary of his decision to become a priest.   

POPE FRANCIS

“I want to tell you about a personal experience. Yesterday was the 60th anniversary of the day when I heard the calling from Jesus within my heart.  But I say it not to have you bring me a cake here, no it's not that. But that memory, 60 years from that day, I will never forget, the Lord made me feel strongly that I had to go forward on that path. I was 17 years old, several years had passed before making this decision, this invitation, became real, definitive. Then several years of joy and success went by. But also of failures, of sin. Sixty years on the path of our Lord, within him, beside him, always with him, and I want to say this: I do not regret it!Why not? Because I feel like Tarzan, and that I'm strong enough to keep going forward?No. I do not regret it because always, even in moments of darkness, moments of sin, in moments of weakness, in moments of failures, I have looked to Jesus and I have trusted Him, and He has never left me alone. Always trust Jesus. He always goes forward. He goes with us. But listen, He never lets us down. He is faithful, a trusting companion. Think of this as my testimony, I am happy of these 60 years with the Lord. ”

No comments:

Post a Comment